Our Happy Block
Depave kicked off the 2011 season with 45 volunteers at Our Happy Block – who came together in the summer rain to break it apart. This depaving made way for four large rain gardens and several swales that treat the stormwater runoff from the parking lot directly on-site. Asphalt removal is just one aspect of this project, which also implemented new street trees (with Friends of Trees), new sidewalks and curbs, a native plant learning garden, and an AMAZING mural.
Many thanks to Terah Beth – the creator of the Our Happy Block project – for all her inspiring work!
- When: Depaved June 18, 2011
- Where: Calvary Church – 8040 SE Woodstock Blvd
- Size: 4,500 square feet
- Coordinators: Terah Beth, Maia Nativ, Dave Pell, Ted Labbe
- Funders: the East Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District, the Portland Bureau of Environmental Services, the Portland Development Commission
- Download: Pics from this event and see our other projects
- See: the other aspects of this community improvement project at the Our Happy Block blog
- Read: the project Case Study by the City of Portland
- Check: out Our Happy Block on Facebook