We had so much fun! Over 150 community members came out to celebrate the recreation of a derelict used car lot by busting up a whole lot of pavement on a beautiful July afternoon.
This project, spearheaded by Hacienda Community Development Corporation, will transform the car lot and the existing building into an indoor-outdoor market place by and for the Latino community. Depaving makes way for a green stormwater plaza.
Watch it blossom — Stay tuned to the Portland Mercado blog for updates. Opening early 2015!
- When: Depaved July 26th, 2014
- Where: Mercado Latino de Portland – SE 72nd Avenue and Foster Boulevard
- Size: 4,000 square feet
- See & Download: More pics from this event and our other projects, also from guest photographer Dave Lackman
- Funders: Event and green plaza supported by grants from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality and the East Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District
- YAY!: Congrats to our Instagram contest winner Ericka – See the day’s Instagrams here and check out shots from the Photo Booth here
- Thanks to our community partners for bringing their crews: HDR Engineering, Groundwork Portland, Access Covenant Church, and Elemental Technologies,
Thanks to our supporting partners who made this event extra special!
- Café Revolucion
- Tienda de Leon’s
- Pilon D’azucar
- Causa of Oregon
- Portland’s Bureau of Environmental Services
- Whole Foods
- Zenger Farm
- Mixteca Catering