Over 100 volunteers came out to the largest Depave project of the summer to convert a huge blacktop playground into a community garden, one of the more amazing Depave feats yet! We removed about 6,000 sq ft of asphalt over the course of the day, and filled up 11 drop boxes with asphalt! Special thanks to Mayor Sam Adams and PPS Board Members Ruth Adkins and Dilafruz Williams for kicking off the event, and to all our projects sponsors: Vestal School, Friends of Portland Community Gardens, Hands on Greater Portland, and SOLV. Thank you Grand Central Bakery and Old Wives’ Tale for the delicious food! Check out the article in the Oregonian.
- When: Depaved August 8th, 2009
- Where: Vestal Community Garden – 161 NE 82nd Ave
- Size: 15,000 square feet
- Project manager: Drew Swayne
- Funder: The East Multnomah Soil & Water Conservation District
- Download: Pics from this event and see our other projects